Saturday, July 23, 2005

Farmers Market Report 7-23


The artichokes at this weekend's farmers market are HUGE. I bought one that is big enough to make a nice appetizer for a few friends who are coming by this evening before we all head out to dinner. I am planning to steam it and provide a few dipping sauces as well as the usual melted butter and dilled mayonnaise.

The California Artichoke Advisory Board (I did NOT make this up) has great recipes for dipping and serving your artichokes. I have added their link to this page, click on "Recipes & Such" and then click on the "Recipes" tab...it is an eye opening experience - Artichoke Benedict, Couscous Stuffed Artichokes, French Fried Artichoke Hearts...you know if I hurry I can probably make it back to the market for more artichokes...

...okay I am back, with a plan for tonight...along with the artichoke I am going to serve Kenwood Chardonnay and PARMESAN GARLIC TOAST which is delicious and incredibly easy to make.

Thinly slice a long narrow baquette (app. 18"), place slices on tin foil on a cookie sheet. In a small bowl mix 1/3 C olive oil and one tablespoon of pre-mixed garlic salt. With a basting brush, spread the oil mixture over the top of the bread slices, allow to sit at room temp for at least half an hour (you can loosely cover it with plastic wrap if you like). Heat the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle the top of the bread with parmesan cheese and parsley, bake for 10-12 minutes, until the bread just starts to brown.

Happy Cooking!

No comments: