Saturday, July 23, 2005

Sometimes Lazy is More Efficient


The kitchen in my cottage is twice as big as the kitchen in my mountain cabin but still leaves a bit to be desired in terms of space. The stove and the refrigerator are on the wall across from the counters and sink so I had to come up with a way to have my cooking utensils and supplies close at hand.

I bought the lazy susan that you see on top of the fridge for about $20 at Costco, it holds my spice rack, basket of oils and seasonings, two buckets of spatulas and spoons, bowl of napkins and a few other odds and ends. I can turn it easily to get the items I need while at the stove. I don't have to use valueable counter space to house any of these cooking essentials and they are in easier reach than if I had them across the kitchen.

In my previous kitchen the lazy susan was also on the top of the fridge but in that case held all of my baking and cooking staples. Being able to turn it made it possible to reach everytthing convienently.

Having a tiny kitchen just means organization is even more important, it doesn't really limit what you can make. What organizational ideas have you incorporated in YOUR cramped kitchen?

No comments: